1. What does an individual have to do to be able to coach if they are not a certified teacher?
A. ASEP Coaches Education Program – Complete our 14 1/2 hour course with a WVSSAC instructor and pass all 3 tests with a minimum score of 80%.
B. Local School Board approval (must be a high school graduate or GED) and must be done each year.
C. Background Check – Fingerprint.
D. Make application with the WV State Department of Education after completing the above (A-C). The application (form 39) is available at your local Board of Education and must be done each year.
2. Does an individual have to take the entire course at designated site to receive the authorized certified status?
YES. 14 1/2 hours of coursework must be completed at the designated site with a WVSSAC instructor, and all three tests must be passed (online) with a minimum score of 80.
3. Does an individual who is not a professional educator have to take the WVSSAC Coaches Education Program courses before they begin coaching?
YES. All course work, testing, and WV State Department authorization must be completed prior to assuming any coaching responsibilities.
4. If an individual is First Aid certified, does he/she have to take the Sports First Aid Course?
YES. The WVSSAC does not waive any of the courses regardless of prior course work, experience, certification, etc.
5. If an individual takes the WVSSAC Coaches Education Program courses and receives a WVSSAC certificate after completing the test requirement, how often must he/she retake the WVSSAC Coaches Education courses?
At the current time course retakes are not necessary; however, the WV State Department of Education authorization to coach is only issued on a yearly basis and must be renewed each year. Coaches must complete form 39 and have local Board approval each year. The WV State Department of Education and or legislature can change the requirements of the program.
6. If an individual has a license to substitute but does not have a teaching certificate, does he have to take the WVSSAC Coaches Education Program courses?
7. Can Authorized Certified Coaches work with athletes out of season?
NO. Authorized Certified Coaches must follow all rules and regulations of the WVSSAC including the “Out of Season Coaching” Rule.
8. Can an individual “volunteer” to coach without taking the class?
NO. There is no such thing as a “volunteer” coach. If an individual wants to coach, whether paid or unpaid, they must have a valid WV teaching certificate or WVSSAC authorized certified individual.
9. What do I need to take to class with me?
Please bring paper and writing utensil. Text books and workbooks will be provided at class.
10. How long do I have to complete and pass all three tests?
Six (6) months from the last date of your class. If you do not finish in six months, you will be required to take the entire class again for the full price.
11. What method of testing is used for the 14 1/2 hour course?
All three tests must be taken online at the completion of the course.
12. Will I be notified when my registration is received by the WVSSAC?
NO. You must call our office (304-485-5494) to verify we received your registration. You will only be notified if the class is full or the cancellation of a class because of low enrollment (less than 10). (maximum class capacity is 20).
13. Can I receive a refund if I cannot attend the class?
YES. But only if you cancel 7 days before the first class date.
14. What happens if I register and do not show up for class?
NO refund will be given and you will NOT be placed in another class until the day that new class begins, and only if the class number is under 20. You must call our office.
15. What happens if the check I send for the bank does not clear the bank?
You will be assessed a $10 reprocessing fee and you must send a money order/certified check . Your spot in the class will NOT be held until we get a valid form of payment. If the class fills before we get valid payment you will have to choose another class or we will return your fee.
16. Can I get authorization to coach if I took the class prior to 2004 (before the WV Component was offered)?
Any individual who completed the Coaching Principles and First Aid class prior to November 2004 and did not obtain a Coaching Authorization issued by the West Virginia Department of Education, is not currently eligible for a Coaching Authorization because they do not meet the minimum requirements according to West Virginia Board of Education Policy 5202.
To satisfy the requirement, individuals who have completed two of the three courses, have the option to complete the 3-hour West Virginia Rules and Regulations course (offered at WVSSAC office) or may choose to take the entire course again paying $250.00 fee and completing all written tests at any of our locations across the state.