Academic Achievement Award Winners
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS APPLICATIONS ARE INCLUDED IN THE PRINCIPALS PACKET ON-LINE.
The Deputy Board members of the West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission met on October 13, 2022, to select the winners for the 2021-22 WVSSAC/Farmers & Mechanics Insurance Academic Achievement Awards.
This statewide recognition program involves two types of awards to be given to schools and individuals. The member school awards are based on the computed overall grade point averages for the Team Sport Award, the Individual Team Sport Award, and the Band Award. The individual awards include: Male Athlete; Female Athlete; Male Band Student; Female Band Student; Male Community Service; and Female Community Service at both high school and middle school levels. The School Category and Individual Category Awards are given at the high school and middle school levels.
The winners will be honored during the pre-game ceremonies of the Class AAA Championship Football game at Wheeling Island Stadium, Wheeling, WV, on December 3, 2022. Plaques and banners will be presented.
THE HIGH SCHOOL WINNERS ARE:
(1) Team Sport Award – Girls Soccer – Bridgeport HS – overall GPA of 4.0
(2) Individual Team Sport Award – Boys Track – Wheeling Park – overall GPA of 4.0
(3) Band Award – Clay – Battelle – overall GPA of 3.82
(1) Male Athlete – Reese Allen, Bridgeport HS, son of Mark and Amy Allen
(2) Female Athlete – Annie Cimino, Charleston Catholic HS, daughter of Mike and Betsie Cimino
(3) Male Band Student – Matthew Jagela, Weir HS, son of Michael and Nikki Jagela
(4) Female Band Student –Mary Beverage, Pocahontas County HS, daughter of Gray and Marsha Beverage
(5) Male Community Service –William Behrens, Notre Dame HS, son of Alexis and Bill Behrens
(6) Female Community Service –Haley Spencer, Pocahontas County HS, daughter of Jody and Rebecca Spencer
THE MIDDLE SCHOOL WINNERS ARE:
(1) Team Sport Award –Volleyball, Huntington MS, overall GPA of 3.9
(2) Individual Team Sport Award –Boys Track – East Fairmont MS, overall GPA of 4.0
(3) Band Award – Bridgeport MS, overall GPA of 3.9
Male Athlete– Tristin Gonzalez, Warwood Middle School, Wheeling, WV. Tristin is the son of Jose and Lacey Gonzalez, Wheeling, WV
Female Athlete– Karsyn Noe, Williamson PK8 Middle School, Williamson, WV. Karsyn is the daughter of Heath and Karsyn Noe, Delbarton, WV.
Male Band Student– Caleb Barker, Williamson PK8 Middle School, Williamson, WV. Caleb is the son of Brandon and Raven Barker, Williamson, WV
Female Band Student– Addison Thomas, Williamson PK8 Middle School, Williamson, WV. Addison is the daughter of Franklin and Kristal Thomas, Williamson, WV
Male Community Service– Jack Stalnaker, Notre Dame MS, Wheeling, WV. Jack is the son of Heather and Jason Stalnaker, Shinnston, WV
Female Community Service– Audrey Kerr, Bridgeport Middle School, Bridgeport, WV. Audrey is the daughter of Chris and Andrea Kerr, Bridgeport, WV
WVSSAC SCHOLARSHIP AWARD WINNERS
Scholarship applications are emailed to high school principals in January.
On April 5, 2022, five West Virginia high school students were selected by the Board of Directors of the West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission to receive $1,000.00 higher education scholarships. The recipients were selected from 35 applicants throughout the State of West Virginia and represent the five administrative districts of the WVSSAC.
THE WINNERS WERE:
District 1 – Franchesca Alvaro – Robert C. Byrd High School
District 2 – Audrey Williams – Philip Barbour High School
District 3 – Jalynn Browning – Scott High School
District 4 – Jackson Sanders – Lincoln County High School
District 5 – Jakobey Meadows – James Monroe High School
The candidates for the scholarships were judged on character, leadership, participation, citizenship, scholarship, and financial need. In order to apply, they needed at least a 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale and a minimum ACT composite score of 16. Only sons and daughters of coaches, bandmasters, activities directors, athletic directors, or administrators were eligible for this scholarship. The recipient must have participated in a minimum of two different activities sponsored by the WVSSAC during the 6th and 7th semesters of enrollment in a WVSSAC member school.
The Scholarship Program is one of two programs sponsored by the West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission to honor academic achievement by students involved in extracurricular activities.
WVSSAC Program Scholarship Winners (please make a new link. We will then update with current info)
WVSSAC Sportsmanship Winners (please make a new link. We will then update with current info)